Theories

News and general discussions about Lunar Ray Games.

Re: Theories

Postby Paul » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:06 am

Yeah, I’ve seen two of those in the past year (movies), and I did enjoy both of them.
[Of course I should not tell you which ones! ;)]

Although I find it slightly deus ex machina to do, it’s probably one of the less farfetched ways to end a time-travel story, without entirely depriving the audience of any return on emotional investment.
Paul

Postby Heart » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:03 am

Truthfully, I would rather the ending not be the cliche ending of you end up back at your home with the village not being destroyed by soldiers and you are the only one who remembers the other timeline. 'Cause I think that would be kind of ridiculous. If Lunais does end up with that ending, it would make more sense for her not to remember, because if she remembered, it would be a paradox. Also, wouldn't the Lunais from the "original" timeline cease to exist? Because the events that made her go on the quest never happened?
Mwahahahahahaha. Age? I have none of those. I am TIMELESS!
Heart

Postby Jistuce » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:49 am

Heart wrote:If Lunais does end up with that ending, it would make more sense for her not to remember, because if she remembered, it would be a paradox. Also, wouldn't the Lunais from the "original" timeline cease to exist? Because the events that made her go on the quest never happened?

But then who stopped the original timeline from coming to be?

It doesn't make sense for her to NOT remember, since if she stopped things, changed history, and is continuing on in the new timeline, she doesn't have that same past history. She would be akin to a traveller from a parallel world.
Effectively, time-traveller Lunais would "overwrite" the younger Lunais from this new timeline(and thus she could be argued to murder herself when she returns home and replaces "native Lunais"!).
Which raises a new set of questions no one ever deals with. If everything the hero knows is now from a radically different world... how do they get along in this new and improved one that's completely different?

Better yet, she returns home, but Native Lunais is already there. There's nothing for our hero in this new world she's forged with her own hands.

Time travel stories are hard to do well, and the fun possibilities are often ignored.
No slur upon this one intended.
Jistuce

Postby Heart » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:02 am

Jistuce wrote:Time travel stories are hard to do well, and the fun possibilities are often ignored.
No slur upon this one intended.

They do intend to be hard to do well, considering some of the possibilities that could happen some writers wouldn't do, because they love their characters too much. Considering sometimes the end possibility is that the herorine gets trapped forever in a certain time, never to return home to enjoy what she changed. The only reason I say that is a possibility, is that what if your time travel device broke? You would be trapped wherever you were forever, with no way to get back to your original timeline, let alone the home as it is in this timeline. And the reason why I say that the Lunais from the original timeline might cease to exist, is because this timeline would be a different dimension, because of the way that multiverse theory works, In one dimension, Lunais disappears into the Timespinner after her mother dies. In the other, soldiers never attack the village because the Empire never existed as it did in the other dimension. The only thing that Lunais really does is skip from one dimension to the other after making all of the changes.
Mwahahahahahaha. Age? I have none of those. I am TIMELESS!
Heart

Previous

Return to General Discussions