New idea for an ability upgrade for traversing areas.

Leave feedback and suggestions for improving Timespinner!

New idea for an ability upgrade for traversing areas.

Postby Mikara » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:15 pm

So, I know generic traversing upgrades include things like being able to jump twice, or flight, or the ability to climb walls. However one that I feel is rarely used that is actually a very fun ability to play around with are ones that allow you to tether to a point, and swing around or pull you to things. I'm thinking of something like the whips from "Secret of Mana" and "Castlevania", and the Grapple Beam from the "Metroid" series put together. I think this would be something that would be easy to introduce, perhaps hard to code, but overall a fun addition to a game that is looking pretty damn good.

My ideas for this upgrade would be for not only traversing, but also puzzle solving as well, giving it the ability to pull certain objects to you. For example, perhaps pulling a heavy block that can't be pushed so that it remains on a pressure switch to open a gate.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think, also since I have to give it a name, I think I would call it the "Chain Whip".
Mikara

Re: New idea for an ability upgrade for traversing areas.

Postby Bodie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:37 pm

That's a fun idea :D I hadn't thought about adding anymore Artifact abilities, but I think something like that could definitely be fun. Are you familiar with the Magnes Glyph from Order of Ecclesia? It does something similar as well.

Once I come up with a good mechanic, it'll be pretty easy for me to come up with lore behind it ;D
Bodie
Site Admin

Postby MetalShadowOverlord » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:56 pm

Sounds like a fun idea! Also, I find it hilarious how there are so many ideas/references coming in from all kinds of Castlevania games. It's like Timespinner is becoming it's own version of Harmony of Despair (which was kickass). :lol:
MetalShadowOverlord

Postby Mikara » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:27 pm

Yeah, OoE came to mind, but I don't know if this upgrade should be part of the timespinner, or just a relic that is left behind.
Mikara

Postby Bodie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:01 pm

Mikara wrote:Yeah, OoE came to mind, but I don't know if this upgrade should be part of the timespinner, or just a relic that is left behind.

I think the easiest route right now is "oh, the Empire is pretty high tech, here's some neat thing that they made and left out in this unlocked room guarded by a scary monster". :D

Or maybe some sort of gravity orb, or perhaps something that Lunais does while time is stopped that physics freaks out with after time resumes and suddenly flings Lunais in that direction. Physics: WHAT HOW DID THIS HAPPEN, NO I MUST FIX THIS *throws Lunais across the room*
Bodie
Site Admin

Postby Mikara » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Bodie wrote:Or maybe some sort of gravity orb, or perhaps something that Lunais does while time is stopped that physics freaks out with after time resumes and suddenly flings Lunais in that direction. Physics: WHAT HOW DID THIS HAPPEN, NO I MUST FIX THIS *throws Lunais across the room*

I also like this Idea, like a gravity bomb that you can use when time is stopped. Somehow aim where it explodes, and then when you unfreeze time, the gravity catches up and lobs you. But I'm still very much wanting a chain of some sort... lol
Mikara

Return to Suggestions