Screenshot function!

Leave feedback and suggestions for improving Timespinner!

Screenshot function!

Postby cthomlan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:29 am

Press a button (or key on the keyboard) and save the current screen frame to an image file. Useful for taking screenshots.
cthomlan

Re: Screenshot function!

Postby Mikara » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:08 am

Print Screen. Well, that was easy.
Mikara

Postby Charleon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:24 am

I guess you are asking for a function that directly creates an image in a folder, rather than having to print screen and then pasting the screenshot in an imagine program?
Charleon

Postby cthomlan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:14 am

Charleon wrote:I guess you are asking for a function that directly creates an image in a folder, rather than having to print screen and then pasting the screenshot in an imagine program?

Correct. Prnt Scrn -> pause -> open Paint -> paste -> save is too many steps for getting a screenshot. Breaks the flow. (Plus, you'll have to crop all the images if you don't know the key combination to just capture the game window.)
cthomlan

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:54 am

Besides the extra work of pasting into an image editor, which can be avoided when a game has a built-in screenshot manager, there also can be virtually zero lag between when you call for the screenshot and the timestamp received in the file name. (Pasting and saving takes several seconds, besides taking you away from gaming.)

The need for this suggestion mainly applies only to our fans on the Microsoft Windows platform, though. Reason being, in Mac OS X, Command+Shift+3 saves PNG of the screen directly to the desktop, with the correct timestamp. Also, in many Linux distributions’ desktop environments, the PrintScreen button itself summons a built-in screenshot manager (usually opens a save dialog-box, though).

I also would enjoy having a screenshot manager for Timespinner, but it is of course too soon to promise anything. In the mean time (and to help with most all games having no screenshot manager), for Windows users there is an open-source tool I would suggest to add the functionality enjoyed by other OSes. Namely, Lightscreen. Be sure to look into its detailed options—very powerful! http://lightscreen.com.ar/
Paul

Postby Selene » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:19 pm

cthomlan wrote:
Charleon wrote:I guess you are asking for a function that directly creates an image in a folder, rather than having to print screen and then pasting the screenshot in an imagine program?

Correct. Prnt Scrn -> pause -> open Paint -> paste -> save is too many steps for getting a screenshot. Breaks the flow. (Plus, you'll have to crop all the images if you don't know the key combination to just capture the game window.)

Pro hacker trick: Hold Alt and press Print Screen and it will only capture the window currently active.
Those who tell you who to love, are the ones who do not deserve it.
Selene

Postby cthomlan » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Selene wrote:Pro hacker trick: Hold Alt and press Print Screen and it will only capture the window currently active.

That trick works for the few people who read the forums, and the probably-none that will see this thread after the game is done. Without a dedicated screenshot key, capture -> paste -> save is going to be the go-to method for most people.

Or since this game was greenlit on Steam, I suppose the overlay is an acceptable substitute. I think using the overlay requires integrating the Steam API though?
cthomlan

Postby SHODANFreeman » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Steam also has screenshotting embedded into it when you press F12 while playing.
SHODANFreeman

Postby Charleon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:37 pm

SHODANFreeman wrote:Steam also has screenshotting embedded into it when you press F12 while playing.

Wow! the more you know..
Charleon

Postby MetalShadowOverlord » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Selene wrote:Pro hacker trick: Hold Alt and press Print Screen and it will only capture the window currently active.

Wow, I did not know you could do this! Thanks, internet! :lol:
MetalShadowOverlord

Return to Suggestions