Orb Ideas

Leave feedback and suggestions for improving Timespinner!

Re: Orb Ideas

Postby Deceus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:09 am

Bodie wrote:Huh, would the Hourglass orb be for pacifism only, or would the melee attacks do damage as well? Interesting idea :D

I would have it would do some damage as well, that way it would be decently suited for general use, not just puzzle-specific uses; thus the diminishing returns/other restrictions on the freezing effect. Less than most/all other orbs, though.

Though I guess it could literally be just for freezing enemies - and therefore (as a melee orb) only really be useful for speeding through areas and puzzle-solving - in which case it could probably be better at freezing enemies than what is described there, and maybe have a nice big/fast attack range. Personally, as a player, I wouldn't be terribly interested in something like that (if I only have one way to damage enemies without spending a resource, I wouldn't pretty much ever want to give it up), but I can see how it could occasionally be useful in puzzles, and how some people would like it outside of puzzles for speedrunning/low-level running and such.
Deceus

Postby PolyUV » Sun May 10, 2015 7:52 pm

Vine/Plant Orb

Melee: Lunais throws the orb into the ground, and a wave of thorns bursts forth around two or three character lengths ahead. Low damage, slow firing rate, knockback, but with small HP gain.

Ranged: Vines burst forth in an array around Lunais. Any enemies struck by this attack are paralyzed for a short duration, with medium damage over time, and a small HP gain.

Passive: Lunais roots into the ground when standing still, slowly absorbing the nutrients in the ground, conferring HP gain over time. Drains MP.
PolyUV

Postby Bodie » Sun May 10, 2015 9:03 pm

PolyUV wrote:Vine/Plant Orb

Melee: Lunais throws the orb into the ground, and a wave of thorns bursts forth around two or three character lengths ahead. Low damage, slow firing rate, knockback, but with small HP gain.

Ranged: Vines burst forth in an array around Lunais. Any enemies struck by this attack are paralyzed for a short duration, with medium damage over time, and a small HP gain.

Passive: Lunais roots into the ground when standing still, slowly absorbing the nutrients in the ground, conferring HP gain over time. Drains MP.

Oh that's fun! I haven't thought about doing any Organic based orbs, but this seems like a fun direction to go. Thanks for the inspiration :)
Bodie
Site Admin

Postby PolyUV » Sun May 10, 2015 10:05 pm

Glad to lend an assist :)
PolyUV

Postby PolyUV » Sun May 10, 2015 10:18 pm

Blood Orb

Melee: Lunais absorbs the Blood Orb through her body, channeling the energy through her hands, manifested in blood tendrils. These tendrils strike multiple times per attack, but each blow landed drains a small amount of her own HP.

Ranged: Charging the Blood Orb causes a violent reaction, creating a powerful shotgun-type blast in front of Lunais. The energy necessary to charge the attack comes from her own HP pool.

Passive: Health orbs restore 20% more HP, as well as a three-second buff to attack power, while simultaneously de-buffing defense during that span.
PolyUV

Postby Deceus » Thu May 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Heh, before playing the Alpha, I didn't realize that mana would passively regenerate. I figured it would be more like Mega Man or Castlevania's hearts than... well, what it is. Oh well. Here's another one I thought of; a bit straightforward, but could be cool:

Nova Orbs
Melee: Quick, thin light beams straight ahead. About the same range as the blue orb, but even faster, though with an even narrower range of what they hit.
Magic: Fairly costly. Lunais shoots a small, but bright point of light that travels quickly across the screen. When it hits an enemy or wall, detonates into a very large "star" explosion that looks like this:
Passive:Enemies killed by Lunais explode into small versions of the ranged starsplosion.

Relatedly, I think I've settled on my $1k orb. It's basically the same as one I posted earlier, but with a more interesting melee attack and a bit of a flavor change:

Barrier Orb(s?)
Melee: Creates a quickly-expanding circle of force, centered on Lunais. Average range and decent damage per hit, but slow to attack with (balance at Bodie's discretion, of course).
Magic: Create a wall of light in front of you. This blocks movement and bullet-type attacks, so you can hide behind it or trap enemies with it, as well as it serving as a platform you can stand on. If you hit it with a melee attack, it'll move forward until it hits an enemy (or wall), where it'll shatter for damage.
Passive: A shield of force is placed around your familiar, which blocks all bullet-type attacks.

A later-game orb, as mentioned before, but a fun one, I think. I have no particular idea on what it would look like, though, or if it would be one orb or two or what. I guess my thought would be just a pair of white-colored orbs that circle Lunais like the blade/blue/etc. orbs do, but if anyone has any better ideas, I'm open to suggestions.
Deceus

Postby Bodie » Thu May 14, 2015 7:30 pm

Deceus wrote:Heh, before playing the Alpha, I didn't realize that mana would passively regenerate. I figured it would be more like Mega Man or Castlevania's hearts than... well, what it is. Oh well. Here's another one I thought of; a bit straightforward, but could be cool:

Nova Orbs
Melee: Quick, thin light beams straight ahead. About the same range as the blue orb, but even faster, though with an even narrower range of what they hit.
Magic: Fairly costly. Lunais shoots a small, but bright point of light that travels quickly across the screen. When it hits an enemy or wall, detonates into a very large "star" explosion that looks like this:
Passive:Enemies killed by Lunais explode into small versions of the ranged starsplosion.

Relatedly, I think I've settled on my $1k orb. It's basically the same as one I posted earlier, but with a more interesting melee attack and a bit of a flavor change:

Barrier Orb(s?)
Melee: Creates a quickly-expanding circle of force, centered on Lunais. Average range and decent damage per hit, but slow to attack with (balance at Bodie's discretion, of course).
Magic: Create a wall of light in front of you. This blocks movement and bullet-type attacks, so you can hide behind it or trap enemies with it, as well as it serving as a platform you can stand on. If you hit it with a melee attack, it'll move forward until it hits an enemy (or wall), where it'll shatter for damage.
Passive: A shield of force is placed around your familiar, which blocks all bullet-type attacks.

A later-game orb, as mentioned before, but a fun one, I think. I have no particular idea on what it would look like, though, or if it would be one orb or two or what. I guess my thought would be just a pair of white-colored orbs that circle Lunais like the blade/blue/etc. orbs do, but if anyone has any better ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

hehe, the Mana regenerating is only how the game is now. It may change again in the future :)

Fun ideas for the orbs :D

For the Barrier orb's Melee attack, would that just be like circular shockwaves emitted from Lunais each time you attack? I'm having trouble envisioning what you're describing for the melee. Other stuff sounds fun :D
Bodie
Site Admin

Postby Deceus » Thu May 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Bodie wrote:For the Barrier orb's Melee attack, would that just be like circular shockwaves emitted from Lunais each time you attack? I'm having trouble envisioning what you're describing for the melee. Other stuff sounds fun :D

Yeah, that's what I was imagining - and a much better way of describing it than I used :). Obviously, that would be a pretty good attack style, so I figured slow attack rate could be the main balancing factor, though obviously damage and range could be adjusted as well. Good for multiple enemies, and protecting yourself from multiple directions, bad for single targets, especially ones with higher health.
Deceus

Postby Bodie » Thu May 14, 2015 9:17 pm

Deceus wrote:Yeah, that's what I was imagining - and a much better way of describing it than I used :). Obviously, that would be a pretty good attack style, so I figured slow attack rate could be the main balancing factor, though obviously damage and range could be adjusted as well. Good for multiple enemies, and protecting yourself from multiple directions, bad for single targets, especially ones with higher health.

Cool! That's a fun idea, very unique! :D
Bodie
Site Admin

Postby Heart » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:53 pm

I may not be a weapon tier backer, but I had an idea.

Fox Fire/Shiranui Orb (silvery blue/purple in color)
Melee: Basic, like the original orbs, except that when they hit an enemy there is a chance that the enemy will be confused.
Passive: 4 Fox Fire/Shiranui fires floating around Lunais, if an enemy comes into contact with it, there is a chance they will be confused and Lunais has reduced damage from the attack.
Spell: When charged up completely the shooting beam could look like a running fox that stops running at the edge of the screen and then returns to orb form. Every enemy that it hits has a percentage change of maybe 30% to become confused and it does slight fire damage.
Mwahahahahahaha. Age? I have none of those. I am TIMELESS!
Heart

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions