Orb Ideas

Leave feedback and suggestions for improving Timespinner!

Re: Orb Ideas

Postby MetalShadowOverlord » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:57 am

Bodie wrote:Rainbow: The Spell might be a little iffy, because it would probably be difficult to design so that it feels enjoyable- there was a point way back in Timespinner's development where Lunais could aim her shots with the Right Stick but it felt super distracting and not actually that useful. Sooo, it got cut. /shrug. I could see this Spell working if it was more automated by the game, kind of like a quick homing manuever (ex: Nearest enemies that are reachable by two connected straight lines get hit).

I would laugh so hard if someone came up with an orb like this or made it workable considering it's origins. XD
MetalShadowOverlord

Postby Thepowaofhax » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:25 pm

So, I'm not really a backer and just found this game but I have an idea.

Orb of Midnight
Melee: The orb shoots fire. Specifically, a flame of corruption and tends to reach short range.
Magic: The demon within the orb hungers for more souls. Each time you kill a monster, it builds a charge for this attack. Charges for this attack max at 40. Each charge increases damage.
Passive: Lowers base damage but each kill you get increases your damage because the demon in the orb is collecting those souls as a charge. (Each soul is two charges; One for spell, one for passive.) The charge amount is reset when you get hit. For each tier of charges (multiples of 10), it fires an extra hellflame. The projectiles are shot at the same time, similar to a spray gun blast. (Each flame is base damage, or let's say if there was 12 charges, 1.2x base damage or so with scaling.)

So basically, if you had 3 souls and got hit, it resets to 0.5x the base damage. Let's say the base is 150, that makes your attack 75. Then, you kill 4 monsters, thus gaining 4 souls. You're now at 135 damage. You want to get to the max damage, aka 375. You get hit, and thus it resets. However, the orb forces you into close range combat. You could easily get hit; The orb itself may sound OP, but only if the user is extremely good at the game.

This is with scaling involved. Devs are the one up to the scaling; this was simply example scaling.
Last edited by Thepowaofhax on Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thepowaofhax

Postby Deceus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Power:

Seems like a pretty cool orb. High risk, high reward and all that. Just want to say, though, that the way it's being designed, you'll have a different orb in each of the three slots - one for melee, one for magic, and one for passive. So while the abilities should be thematically linked, they shouldn't be designed to be used as a unit.

That said, I think yours work pretty well on their own.

Actually: what would the magic effect actually do? I assume it's some sort of hellfire blast, but anything in particular about it other than "it gets more powerful as you kill things before you use it?"
Deceus

Postby Thepowaofhax » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Deceus wrote:Power:

Seems like a pretty cool orb. High risk, high reward and all that. Just want to say, though, that the way it's being designed, you'll have a different orb in each of the three slots - one for melee, one for magic, and one for passive. So while the abilities should be thematically linked, they shouldn't be designed to be used as a unit.

That said, I think yours work pretty well on their own.

Actually: what would the magic effect actually do? I assume it's some sort of hellfire blast, but anything in particular about it other than "it gets more powerful as you kill things before you use it?"

Basically, you build up charges on each kill. Basically, if we have scaling, it would work like this:
It does base damage. For each charge, it increases 1.1x the base damage, Let's say the cap is at 50; You would be able to hit for 6x base damage for maximum damage. It resets after the attack and presumably costs high amounts of mana. I should've put a description on the attack on itself then what it does, so I'll edit my post as so.

I wasn't actually trying to link it, but it does seem like it.
Thepowaofhax

Postby Deceus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:33 pm

Thought of this the other day, as a very lategame/postgame orb:

Phoenix Orb
Melee: The orb transforms into a phoenix above Lunais, then does a diving attack ahead of her. Has a large hitbox/range and is pretty powerful, but is also quite slow (since it has to finish the diving attack and then despawn/turn back into an orb before you can use it again) and doesn't hit directly in front of her.
Magic: Lunais transforms into a phoenix for a few seconds. This makes her invincible, makes her deal collision damage to enemies, and allows her to fly. (Obviously, exceptionally expensive and late-game only.)
Passive: If Lunais would die, instead she transforms into a phoenix for a few seconds (like the magic ability), and heals a little bit of her health. This effect consumes a lot of mana; if she doesn't have enough for it, she just dies instead.

It's funny, making Lunais invincible isn't nearly as impressive as it is in other, similar games, thanks to her ability to stop time. Anyway, the orb (particularly the magic effect) is inspired by an obscure SNES platformer called Skyblazer, which featured transforming into a phoenix as an ultimate, awesome magic that you get for far too short of a time to really appreciate. The passive seemed fitting, as well.

I'm still not sold on the melee, though. It could be a more conventional talon or beak or feathers or fireball or something, and that would be fine, but I figured why not go all-out if this is going to be a late or postgame orb anyway. Plus, I feel like a visually impressive orb with an unconventional hitbox is a good idea for a lategame orb. But still...

(Also, birb!)
Deceus

Postby MetalShadowOverlord » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:51 pm

Deceus wrote:Thought of this the other day, as a very lategame/postgame orb:

Phoenix Orb
Melee: The orb transforms into a phoenix above Lunais, then does a diving attack ahead of her. Has a large hitbox/range and is pretty powerful, but is also quite slow (since it has to finish the diving attack and then despawn/turn back into an orb before you can use it again) and doesn't hit directly in front of her.
Magic: Lunais transforms into a phoenix for a few seconds. This makes her invincible, makes her deal collision damage to enemies, and allows her to fly. (Obviously, exceptionally expensive and late-game only.)
Passive: If Lunais would die, instead she transforms into a phoenix for a few seconds (like the magic ability), and heals a little bit of her health. This effect consumes a lot of mana; if she doesn't have enough for it, she just dies instead.

Sounds like a familiar trapped inside an orb.
MetalShadowOverlord

Postby Deceus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:20 pm

MetalShadowOverlord wrote:Sounds like a familiar trapped inside an orb.

Heh, interesting point. Could be something like the Sword Familiar from SotN, except in reverse - level it up enough as a weapon, and it eventually becomes usable as a familiar as well.
Deceus

Postby bobjones1980 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:57 pm

An orb with ice powers, at max power could summon a blizzard that leaves snow on the ground
bobjones1980

Postby Deceus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:49 am

BrightShadow wrote:Time Orbs:
Low or no damage, however being hit with them freezes/pauses time for the enemy that has been hit, but allows time for everyone else to continue flowing. They would specifically look high contrast, and potentially have white 'runes' falling from them.

With the new time manipulation mechanics, I had the idea for something like this:

Hourglass Orb
Appearance: Looks like a fancy hourglass, but the top and bottom chambers are visibly orbs. While idle, sand flows from one into the other, and then it turns over, and so on.
Melee: The hourglass spins in an infinity symbol ahead of you, stopping its attack when it loops back to you. Any enemy struck by it is frozen in time temporarily. The larger/more powerful the enemy, the more temporary it is, and/or the time freezing has diminishing returns, so that after a couple of hits they're only frozen for a tiny fraction of a second.
Magic: Your mana pool is emptied, and depending on how much is spent, your sand and health are restored by a corresponding amount. Maybe put a cap on it that fully restores your sand and health, or maybe not. Include a cool sand flowing upwards in an hourglass animation.
Passive: Freezing time takes 33% less sand (or whatever percent seems balanced).
Deceus

Postby Bodie » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:02 am

Huh, would the Hourglass orb be for pacifism only, or would the melee attacks do damage as well? Interesting idea :D
Bodie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions