Consumable items & you, a tale about inventory management!

Leave feedback and suggestions for improving Timespinner!

Consumable items & you, a tale about inventory management!

Postby Mikara » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:12 pm

A thought popped into my head: We have a menu, we have a merchant, and we have save points, but how do we heal on the front lines? Obviously we have to have consumable items, right? Well, in that case, how will they be managed? Will I be able to hold 99, or only 9, or perhaps only limited to 5 on the super powerful rare ones? I'm sure that sounds reasonable, but now how do I go about using them? Will I pause the game, will I have a quick menu so I have to dodge while using items, or will I have a button I can set an item to so I can use it during combat quickly?

Anyways, enough fake questions, I'm sure you get the point. I was just curious what design you had in mind, and also it sparked an idea on how to give Hard mode a little more difficulty by limiting the consumable items from say 9 on everything to only 3 or something like that. Anyways, hope I gave you more ideas. =P
Mikara

Re: Consumable items & you, a tale about inventory managemen

Postby Bodie » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:48 pm

The current design is to mimic the DS Castlevania games: In order to use items you have to pause the game and go into the Use Item menu. Quantities are maxed at 9 for each item.

I personally like the idea of instantly stuffing your face with steak dinners in order to win a fight ;D

I haven't really thought about changing how items work in NG+ or Hard mode, but limiting item stack caps could be an interesting route.
Bodie
Site Admin

Postby Nel Celestine » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:44 am

is there any harm in making items stack to 10 instead? It's just a nicer rounder number.
Producer of Spinners of Fate and other Youtube Content.
Nel Celestine

Postby ThatLlamaGirl » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:16 pm

Usually having 9 as the max means there's always only one digit to display the number of items you have, 0-9, so it's got less problems with spacing. With 10 as the max, then there's one condition where two digits are necessary. Not that I'm saying that this is a reason why/why not we will decide on 9 vs 10, just a reason why a lot of games seem to arbitrarily stop at 9 instead of 10. :)
ThatLlamaGirl

Postby Jarno » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:21 am

unless you use hex numbers
Jarno

Postby ThatLlamaGirl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:14 pm

Most games don't use hex for displaying values, since most people have no idea what it means. I have F items.... :C
ThatLlamaGirl

Postby VicTheRipper » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:10 am

ThatLlamaGirl wrote:Most games don't use hex for displaying values, since most people have no idea what it means. I have F items.... :C

F = 15 in decimal 8-)
VicTheRipper

Postby Darth Plagueis » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:50 pm

And I played Pokemon Red & Blue, met missigno, and ⚘9 [flower9] became a new number placement for my sixth item, which I learned it's representing value. Players are good learners, setting an inventory in any base or symbol scheme, will only make them clever.

now to force players to learn base85 :twisted:
Darth Plagueis

Return to Suggestions